Friends of Severn Farm Pond
‘Friends of Severn Farm Pond’ are a group of volunteers who aim to create a high quality community hub for all to enjoy at Severn Farm Pond Nature Reserve
The constituted and much valued volunteer group started up in January 2017 to continue the opportunity for local people to take part in supportive and sociable volunteering in an outdoor setting. The group has a reciprocal and closely affiliated relationship with the Trust. Membership is free and open to all who have an interest in the reserve and numbers are growing thanks to the dedicated leadership and welcoming attitude of the members
Create a community hub for all to enjoy
To improve access and facilities
To strengthen partnerships
Providing volunteer support for MWT projects and events
Fundraising and encouraging wider use of the site
Developing the skills, knowledge and confidence of group members
Achievements so far:-
The ‘Friends’ meet to take part in weekly volunteering sessions that can be as varied as general reserve maintenance and habitat management, to repairing infrastructure, to fundraising for and building showcase and educational structures on the site, for example ‘Bugkingham Palace’ (see below).
The ‘Friends’ dedication has proved invaluable in raising the profile to the wider business community, visiting groups and members of the public, increasing interest, strengthening partnerships and increasing a natural affiliation to the site and the wildlife species that calls it home.
- Boardwalk – The ‘Friends’ have supported the dismantling and the building of a new brand new section of boardwalk at the reserve.
- Bugkingham Palace – The ‘Friends’ designed and built a Giant Bug Hotel in the wildlife demonstration garden
- Green Flag 2017/18 – The ‘Friends’ activity supported a successful application of the Green Flag Award for the Severn Farm Pond Nature Reserve.
- Green Flag 2018/19 – Awarded for the second year !
- Commenced reserve maintenance at MWT’s second nature reserve in Welshpool - Llyn Coed y Dinas
- The group aims to continue providing volunteering opportunities at Severn Farm Pond and Llyn Coed y Dinas
- To support and deliver high quality events and training sessions for visitors and volunteers at the site
- To reach out to all kinds of people in the locality to become more involved with the reserve
How to get involved