30 Days to Save Dolforwyn
raised of £150,000 target
The Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust is undertaking a massive campaign to try to save Dolforwyn Woods, in Abermule, which is being put up for sale. Whoever buys it could drastically limit access to the woodland or worse, fell the trees and destroy important habitat.
FOR WILDLIFE, FOR PEOPLE
Dolforwyn Woods has been managed as a nature reserve by MWT for 5 years. During that time we have worked hard to improve the variety and quality of habitats available and this is apparent in the range of species which now call the woods home. Dormice are breeding in the nest boxes we have erected and plants, including the rare Herb Paris, now thrive where we have undertaken scrub clearance and coppicing. If you are lucky, you will hear a Green Woodpecker or see the orange flash of a Silver-washed Fritillary in the areas of ancient woodland.
Dolforwyn Woods is not only a haven for wildlife, it is a sanctuary for people too. The reserve is a much loved community space where people can ramble amongst the trees, walk the dog, have a picnic and even ride their horse along the bridle path. MWT uses the reserve to host amazing events, such as bat and moth nights, herb walks and family fun days.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Previous attempts to purchase Dolforwyn Woods have failed and now the reserve is going to be put on the open market. If MWT can raise the purchase price in the next month we can buy the site and save it from harm.
From 4th October, MWT will undertake an event or activity every single day for 30 days to raise the £150,000 needed to save Dolforwyn Woods. By donating to the 30 Days to Save Dolforwyn campaign, you will be helping to safeguard a haven for wildlife and people for generations to come.
Your support will make a real difference - please help if you can.
There are 5 ways to get involved:
- Send a cheque made payable to 'Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust' to "30 Days to Save Dolforwyn", Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust, 42 Broad Street, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 7RR
- Use the DONATE button on this webpage - please click on the tiny blue "+comments" text on the PayPal page and write "30 Days to Save Dolforwyn" in the text box. (nb - you do not need a PayPal account to donate this way)
- You can also donate using your mobile phone. Text "Mont03" and your chosen amount (e.g. Mont03 £10) to 70070.
In the event of MWT not raising the necessary funds to purchase Dolforwyn Woods, any monies donated will be used to support MWT's conservation work.
- Sponsored Leg Wax! - Clive Faulkner (Trust Manager) has agreed to have his legs waxed to save Dolforwyn. Sponsor him now before he changes his mind! Pop in the office or use donate button above.
- Sponsor a Tree - The trees at Dolforwyn Woods offer food and homes to a variety of wildlife including Common Dormice, Green Woodpeckers and Silver-washed Fritillary butterflies. Sponsorship of a tree is £5 with anyone sponsoring 10 or more trees receiving a certificate of appreciation. Larger sections of the wood are also available for sponsorship – for more information contact the office on 01938 5556554.
- Adopt a nest box - We have erected a number of different nest boxes since taking on the site in 2009, providing homes for birds, Pine Martens, bats and dormice. Adopt a nest box at Dolforwyn Woods and help support the '30 Days to Save Dolforwyn' campaign. We have 40 boxes available for adoption at £5 each. Participants will receive 3 email updates during the year, detailing the activity in your box! For more information, contact the office on 01938 555654.
- Green Fancy Dress Fun Run - Join us on Sunday, October 26th at 2pm. The run (or you could walk!) goes from the Welshpool Gate in to Powis Castle to the top car park; you could even run it three times! Families welcome with fancy dress being the theme, and wear something green, to denote the importance of our environment (or dress up as a plant/flower/animal!). There will be refreshments at the top car park, and a cash prize for the best fancy dress.
You can download a sponsorship form here. Alternatively, pop in to the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust Welshpool office or Montgomeryshire Liberal Democrats (telephone number is 01686 625527).
Please come along to raise awareness of the importance of Dolforwyn Woods and gather as much sponsorship as you can!
We need lots of support for our exciting programme of activities across the 30 days. Please click here to see a full list of events and sponsorship opportunities you could volunteer to help with.
Have you got an awesome fundraising suggestion? Could you run your own event or activity to raise awareness for the 30 Days to Save Dolforwyn campaign? If so, let us know and then GO FOR IT!